Spread your knees as wide as your mat. Let your belly rest between your thighs and rest your forehead on the floor.
Child’s pose is yoga’s most important resting posture and it is a nice way to gently stretch various parts of your body.
Benefits of Balasana
- Gently stretches back, hips, thighs and ankles.
- Help relieve back pain.
- Helps alleviate stress and anxiety.
- Stretches the spine.
- Normalizes circulation in the body.
- Calms the mind and body.
- Encourages strong and steady breathing.
- Helps relieve fatigue.
- Stimulates digestion.
This pose should not be performed if you fall in any of the below categories.
- Pregnant women.
- Suffering from diarrhoea.
- Knee injury.
How to do Child Pose step by step instructions
- Sit on your heels on a yoga mat or on the floor .
- Either keep your knees together or apart.
- Slowly bend forward by lowering your forehead to touch the floor, exhaling as you do as.
- Keep your arms alongside your body.
- Make sure your palms are facing up.
- Alternatively you can reach out your arms towards the front of the yoga mat, palms placed facing down on the mat.
- Now that you are in this pose, gently press your chest on the thighs or between the thighs if the latter are apart.
- Hold the pose for 45 seconds to 1 minute.
- Regulate your breath.
- As you inhale, imagine your breath is being driven through your navel, and pull your navel towards your spine.
- Exhale,soften your body and arms .
- Repeat the same for 4-12 breaths.
- Place your palms under the shoulders and gradually raise your upper body to return to the sitting position on the heels while inhaling.
Your neck should stay in a neutral position.If you find you are bending your neck, use a pillow, yoga block or any other prop to keep pressure off your neck.
Modifications and Variations
- You can choose to keep the knees together instead of separating them if that is more comfortable for you. Likewise, you can curl the toes under if it is painful to have the feet flat or place a rolled towel under your shins to take the stress off your muscles.
- You can place a yoga blanket or towel underneath the knees for padding and added support.
- For a restorative variation, place a bolster or pillow under your stomach or chest and assume the pose for up to 10 minutes.
- If you feel any pain,ease out of the pose.
Try it Out :
Incorporate this move and similar ones into one of these popular yoga workouts.
- Warm up Routine
- Yoga To Reduce Belly Fat Easily
- Strengthen your thigh muscles by finding freedom in The Compass Pose and other Preparatory Poses
Was this page helpful 👍👎
Feel free to ask if you have any query
Yoga asana is the third limb of the eight- limbed path outlined in the Yoga Sutra of Patanjali- a seminal yogic text.
The eight limbs are as follows.
- Yamas and Niyamas ( Moral and ethical codes.
- Asanas ( Postures)
- Pranayama ( Breathwork)
- Pratyahara ( withdrawal of the senses)
- Dharana ( concentration)
- Dhyana ( Meditation )
- Samadhi ( spiritual absorption)
Practice of these yoga sutras shouldn’t be painful.
If you are experiencing an excess of emotional and / or physical discomfort during your practice – either come out of the pose you’re doing or ask your teacher on how you can adjust and go with the flow which suits your body taking into consideration any contraindications or injuries.
At homasana, our goal is to inspire your practice with in-depth articles, video courses and challenges. We are devoted to sharing yoga with the world inspiring everyone wishing for a respectful life, Happy and peaceful mind- body.