When was the last time you jumped rope? It’s cheap and portable- burns more calories than you might think. Give it a whirl!
Skipping is the cheapest and most effective way towards fat burning workouts you can do. And it’s fun too. Then what is stopping you ?
When a piece of exercise equipment sells for under INR 200,fits into a briefcase and can be used by the whole family improving cardiovascular fitness while toning muscle at the same time, using it just for 15-20 minutes will burn off the calories from a candy bar. And the answer is a jump rope.
Skipping is a cardiovascular entire body workout designed to balance three factors for maximum effectiveness and safety : frequency, intensity and duration.
You also need to include a warm-up period before you enter into a target intensity period of your workout and a cool-down period before the end of your workout.
Cardiovascular exercises like skipping, running , jumping jacks etc raises the heart rate and breathing rate into the moderate to vigorous intensity level for 10 minutes or more.
- Adjust the rope by holding the handles and stepping on the rope.
- Shorten the rope so the handles reach your armpits.
- Wear properly fitted athletic shoes, preferably cross- training shoes.
- You’ll need a four by six foot area, and about 10 inches of space above your head.
- Hold the rope handles and swing the rope to develop a feel for the rhythm.
Skip Your Way to Good Health
All you need to do is hold a skipping rope and spare about 15 minutes of your time everyday to quickly workout at the intense level.
So check out
Amazing Benefits of Skipping
- The effort it takes to jump rope for 10 minutes is the equivalent of running a mile in eight minutes.
- Skipping for weight loss is a common reason people take up the activity, so you’ll be pleased to know one hour of skipping will burn up to 1600 calories and you really don’t need to be a professional or expert to “rope skipper” in order to burn that many.
- Skipping is a full body workout which uses your abdominal to stabilise the body, legs for jumping, shoulders and arms for turning the rope.
- Skipping improves the coordination, stamina and focus.
- It is a zero cost workout.
- It is an incredible alternative to traditional cardio on machines such as treadmill, cross trainer etc.
- Skipping benefits in releasing the happy hormones however improves the mental health which is also known as ease to depressive moods.
- It helps in improving the heart rate and blood pressure.
- Boosts the immune system.
- Balances the metabolism rate.
- Improves the overall health in a short period of time.
- Tones the muscles.
- Improves the skin.
- Weight loss remedy.
- Improves the bone density.
- Skipping is best to improve functional movements like footwork.
Total body, cardio.
Frequency of Skipping Exercise
Aim for 20 minutes at least in your target heart rate zone, apart from warm up and cooling down. At this duration, your body burns through its available glycogen energy and begins to burn stored fat.
You will still burn calories if you workout for less than 20 minutes in your zone. But the best fitness benefits come from spending 20 minutes to 60 minutes in the aerobic zone by building muscles, repairing with an easy skipping exercise with a slower walk, stretching and yoga.
No matter where you are or how long it’s been, you can still get back to working out without hurting yourself, getting bored or feeling miserable.
The idea is to start with one small goal- consistency. More than anything, consistency is what you need to build that exercise habit and this workout is designed to do just that. Choose a pace you can maintain the length of the workout. It doesn’t matter how slow it might be, the idea is to finish the workout and stay close to your comfort zone.
For Weight Loss
You can extend the workout daily by increasing the duration 10% more than before to burn more calories but you should do this incrementally.
The Bottom Line
Skipping or other cardio exercises keeps your heart, lungs and muscles healthy. And you don’t even need to leave your house to add it to your fitness routine. Just remember to.warm up and start slow, especially when trying a new move.
Grab a skipping rope and Workout along with me give it a try.
Disclaimer: Those who are suffering from osteoporosis, heart problems, bone injury or recovering from surgery should avoid skipping and consult a doctor for green signal.
Was this page helpful 👍 👎
Thank you so much!
If you find any difficulty or queries feel free to ask me in the comment section.
Also check :
If you are experiencing an excess of emotional and / or physical discomfort during your practice – either come out of the pose you’re doing or ask your teacher on how you can adjust and go with the flow which suits your body taking into consideration any contraindications or injuries.
At homasana, our goal is to inspire your practice with in-depth articles, video courses and challenges. We are devoted to sharing yoga with the world inspiring everyone wishing for a respectful life, Happy and peaceful mind- body.