This article is all about the best yoga named Surya Namaskar (Sun Salutation in English) proudly originated in India.
Having a healthy lifestyle is everyone’s motive and dream. Everyone wants to live healthy but they can’t find time for them., So this article is specially written to those who really want to be healthy but it is tough for them to find time.
Surya means “Sun” – Namaskar – “Salutation”
It is a yoga Practice originated in Hatha Yoga in the 19th Century containing 12 beautiful asanas – from arch to standing forward, bend into downward facing dog pose etc and so many variations of 12 powerful poses. Every set of pose is associated with different mantras including Sivananda Yoga, each step of twelve graceful asanas has the name of God Surya – Sun.
Best time to do Surya Namaskar?
It should be usually performed during sunrise on an empty stomach by completing the set of 12 asanas as many times as you can, if you are a beginner you can start by completing each set 3 or more times. If due to any reason you fail to perform sun salutation during sunrise – It’s absolutely alright you can do it in the evening time as well but on an empty stomach.
Who Should Not Do Surya Namaskar?
1) Pregnant Women should not perform this activity after the third month of pregnancy .
2) Patient’s of high blood pressure Should avoid this practice.
3)People seeking a back problem should not perform this activity.
4) Patients of Hernia (weak points in intestine, organs , stomach) are warned against this practice.
What speed Should I Follow for Sun Salutation :
Surya Namaskar No Doubt it’s a great workout for the entire body – stretching , flexibility and toning the muscles hence it is important to know at what speed Should you follow for every asana you Practice .
Use the Breath as an effective tool in slow movements to bring the body, mind and breath in harmony and enjoy a complete meditative experience – hence go with the flow of your breath – Inhale pose and exhale whereas if you are performing surya namaskar as a warm up routine you can do it at fast pace or else go slow and move Gently.
Benefits of Doing Surya Namaskar
Well it’s a Workout for entire body one that doesn’t require use of any equipment – When done in the right way and at the right time ,
Surya Namaskar can totally change your life, it may take some time to showcase results but you will soon find your skin detoxed like never before
- Helps lose weight
- Improves metabolism
- Boosts Blood Circulation
- Better Digestive system
- Glowing Skin
- Ensures regular menstrual cycle
- Brings down sugar level down
- Improves Memory
- Proper Functioning of Nervous System
- Efficient Inhalation and Exhalation Process
- Helps your body detox
- Improves your sleeping pattern
- Calms down your mind – giving you a better and a peaceful sleep
- Battles Insomnia
- Stay in Shape Naturally
How much calories you burn by doing this practice of Surya Namaskar
One entire round burns 13 calories however initially you can start completing 4 or more rounds as per your level – Technically you burn 140 calories in 10 minutes of performing Sun Salutation.
12 Powerful Poses of Surya Namaskar Step By Step :
- Pranamasana (Prayer Pose) : First Posture to begin with standing upright on your mat ensuring that your feet are placed closed to each other.
- Take a deep breath , expand your chest and relax your shoulder.
- During Inhalation, raise your arms from the side and while exhaling join both your palms together as if you are praying.
- Hasta Uttanasana (Raised Arms Pose): Ensuring both the palms joined together and taking a deep breath inside – Lift your arms slightly bent backward ( Your Biceps must stay close to your ears).
- Hasta Padasana (Standing Forward Bend):Breathe Out and bend forward from your waist.Try to touch the floor with your hands. However ensure that your spine remains Straight. While practicing exhale slowly and thoroughly.
- Ashwa Sanchalanasana (Lunge Pose) : Bend your knees slightly, so that the palms can rest on the floor beside your feet . Inhale , bring your right knee towards the right side of your chest and stretch your left leg backward . Exhale, Raise Your Head and look forward .
- Chaturanga Dandasana (Plank Pose) : Inhale, bring your right leg back as well.Now both the hands will be right under your shoulders ensuring your body is parallel to the ground Exhale If you find any difficulty in performing this asana due to back pain or other reason , you can make Variations and instead practice downward facing dog pose (Adho Mukha Svanasana)
- Ashtanga Namaskara (Eight Limbed Pose) : Bring your knees down towards the floor.Rest your chin on the floor and keep your hips suspended in the air.
- Bhujangasana (Cobra Pose) : Rest Your legs and trunk flat on the ground.Place your arms near your chest , Inhale with a raised hood.
- Adho Mukha Svanasana (Downward Facing Dog Pose) : Place your palms and feet where they were before in Bhujangasana and Inhale – Gently lift your hips – forming an inverted “V” Straighten your elbows and knees – Look towards your navel – Go with the flow of your breath and Exhale
- Ashwa Sanchalanasana (High Lunge Pose ) : Exhale bring your right foot forward near your chest and stretch your left leg backward straight look forward – Inhale
- Hasta Padasana (Standing Forward Bend): Breathe Out and bend forward from your waist.Try to touch the floor with your hands. However ensure that your spine remains Straight. While practicing exhale slowly and thoroughly.
- Hasta Uttanasana (Raised Arm Pose): Inhale and come up Straight join your palms and raise your arms above your head slightly Bend Backward move gently
- Pranamasana (Prayer Pose): Breathe Out – stand straight with both the feet close to each other, relax and lower the arms, join your palms in front of your chest, take a deep breath inside and exhale.
Instructions For Beginners :
- If you find pain in your knees while practicing standing forward bend – you are free to bend your knees
- While performing downward facing dog pose you can make Variations by lifting your hip on your toes or else bend your knees
- Make ensure that your back is straight while practicing plank or else you may find pains and injury on your back – Remember Keep Your Back Straight Always
- Practice each asanas as per your level of flexibility
- Don’t stretch too much either and perform it at a slow pace gently.
To avail maximum benefit of Surya Namaskar perform 12 sets of these asanas Every day that is six rounds on your right leg and other on your left leg
INHALE THE FUTURE EXHALE THE PAST !!
Surya Namaskar Yoga is a peaceful journey towards peaceful and healthy life with lots of silent pains !
RELAX YOUR BODY – CALM YOUR MIND !!
Be Presentable To What Is Happening Right Now – Lead A Happy And A Peaceful Life Forever !!!!!!
1)How many Surya namaskar should be done?
Ans : It’s really good to Practice at least 12 rounds daily – if you are a beginner you can begin with 3 or more rounds and gradually increase to as many as you can comfortably do (even 108 rounds ) .
2) I am 60 + years old. Can I practice Surya Namaskar ?
Ans: Yes you can practice if are not really new to exercise – But if you are new to physical activity then start your day with some walking and gradually begin with Surya namaskar performing gently.
3) Can I practice Surya namaskar during menstruation ? Ans : It can be practiced if there is no heavy bleeding or cramping . Remember not to perform in a fast manner.
4) Can a women do Surya namaskar ?
Ans: Regular practice of Surya namaskar helps women regulate irregular menstrual cycle and also brings glow to the face hence it is awesome workout to begin with for everyone especially women .
5) Is Yoga mat necessary for Yoga ?
Ans: Yoga mat is important enough to practice Asanas Comfortably and safely – It represents the space in which our minds might experience some relief from the stress.In addition , a special mat determines your personal space- Yoga mats helps practitioners to keep their hold strong on the surface due to its anti-slipping nature subjected to cramps and fatigues. Hence yoga mat is quite necessary to practice yoga Asanas.
Thank You So Much for your time
Make sure you apply this practice in your daily schedule . If you find my blog and content beneficial to you and your body – Do like and follow my site – If you have any queries feel free to ask me in the comment box or else mail me (Contact details given in my contact tab)