The literal meaning of this pose is to stretch towards the ” east ” . As the sun rises in the east and sets in the ” west ” the east is known as the direction of new beginnings and budding potential. In Upward Plank Pose, we draw a strength of the core and leg muscles, as well as the support of the shoulders beneath the heart.
Beginner / Intermediate.
Benefits of Upward Plank Pose
- Strengthens the arms, wrists and legs.
- Stretches the shoulders, chest and front ankles.
- Calms mind.
- Strengthens back and spine.
Contraindications and Cautions
- Wrist injury.
- Neck injury.
How to do Upward Plank Pose step by step instructions
- Sit in Dandasana( Staff Pose) with your hands several inches behind your hips and fingers pointing forward.
- Bend your knees and place your feet on the floor, big toes turned inward, heels at least a foot away from your buttocks.
- Exhale, press your inner feet and hands down against the floor, and lift your hips until you come into a reverse tabletop position, torso and thighs approximately parallel to the floor, shins and arms perpendicular.
- Without losing the height of your hips, straighten your legs one at a time.
- Lift your hips still higher without hardening your buttocks. Press your shoulder blades against your torso to support the lift of your chest.
- Without compressing the back of your neck, slowly drop your head back.
- Hold for 30 seconds and then sit back in the staff pose by exhaling slowly.
- If you find this challenging, bend your knees and lift up into a reverse tabletop.
- Find a hand position that suits your shoulders, finger point forward or away from you.
- Engage your glutes ( buttocks ) muscles to support you in the pose.
How long should I hold Reverse Plank Pose
Keep your entire body strong and form a straight line from your head to your heels. Squeeze your core and try to pull your belly button back toward your spine. Hold the position for up to 30 seconds, if your hips begin to sag or drop, lower yourself back to the floor in Savasana ( resting position).
Follow Up Poses
- Downward Facing Dog Pose.
- Side Plank Pose
- Supported Shoulder Stand .
- Upward facing two foot staff pose.
Was this page helpful 👍👎
Feel free to ask if you have any query
Yoga asana is the third limb of the eight- limbed path outlined in the Yoga Sutra of Patanjali- a seminal yogic text.
The eight limbs are as follows.
- Yamas and Niyamas ( Moral and ethical codes.
- Asanas ( Postures)
- Pranayama ( Breathwork)
- Pratyahara ( withdrawal of the senses)
- Dharana ( concentration)
- Dhyana ( Meditation )
- Samadhi ( spiritual absorption)
Practice of these yoga sutras shouldn’t be painful.
If you are experiencing an excess of emotional and / or physical discomfort during your practice – either come out of the pose you’re doing or ask your teacher on how you can adjust and go with the flow which suits your body taking into consideration any contraindications or injuries.
At homasana, our goal is to inspire your practice with in-depth articles, video courses and challenges. We are devoted to sharing yoga with the world inspiring everyone wishing for a respectful life, Happy and peaceful mind- body.