Virasana is a Sanskrit word that translates into Hero Pose.
The conventional hero is the kind who fights for the world.This asana is a meditative pose, so it is best to practice this pose in the morning. You can do this pose as an alternative to Lotus for seated meditation for tired legs.
Benefits of Virasana-Hero Pose
- Stretches the thighs, knees and ankles.
- Strengthens the arches.
- Improves digestion and relieves gas.
- Helps relieve the symptoms of menopause.
- Reduces swelling of the legs during pregnancy.
- Therapeutic for high blood pressure and asthma.
Contraindications and Cautions
- Heart problems.
- Knee or ankle injury.
Hero Pose step by step instructions
- Start in an upright kneeling position with your hips over your knees and the tops of your feet flat on the mat.
- Keep your knees together as you seperate your feet to either side until they are about 18 inches apart.
- Basically spread your feet apart to make room for your butt to come down on the floor between them.
- Make sure your knees stay together with feet apart.
- Exhale and lower your butt to sit on the floor between your feet.
- Make sure that you are not sitting on your feet but rather in between them with the tops of your feet on the floor.
- Your feet should point straight back, turning neither inward or outward.
- Slide your shoulders away from your ears.
- Rest your hands in your lap.
- Remain in the pose for 1 minute as per your comfortness.
- Release by pressing your palms into the floor and lifting your butt.
- Don’t go into this pose quickly.
- Go slow so you can be sure that you feel the difference between a big quad stretch and knee joint pain.
- Be sure to distribute your weight across your sit bones and that the tops of the feet are equally pressing into the floor.
Modifications and Variations
- If your ankles are painful in this pose, roll up a towel and place it underneath them before you sit back.
Follow up Poses
Try it out similar yoga asanas and yoga routine :
Was this page helpful 👍👎
Feel free to ask if you have any query
Yoga asana is the third limb of the eight- limbed path outlined in the Yoga Sutra of Patanjali- a seminal yogic text.
The eight limbs are as follows.
- Yamas and Niyamas ( Moral and ethical codes.
- Asanas ( Postures)
- Pranayama ( Breathwork)
- Pratyahara ( withdrawal of the senses)
- Dharana ( concentration)
- Dhyana ( Meditation )
- Samadhi ( spiritual absorption)
Practice of these yoga sutras shouldn’t be painful.
If you are experiencing an excess of emotional and / or physical discomfort during your practice – either come out of the pose you’re doing or ask your teacher on how you can adjust and go with the flow which suits your body taking into consideration any contraindications or injuries.
At homasana, our goal is to inspire your practice with in-depth articles, video courses and challenges. We are devoted to sharing yoga with the world inspiring everyone wishing for a respectful life, Happy and peaceful mind- body.